Apple will finally adopt and bring the RCS messaging to the iPhone later next year. The primary aim is to improve cross-platform messaging. But that will not in any way replace the iMessage.
Below is what Apple has to say about this new development. In a statement to 9to5Mac, an Apple spokesperson said:
Later next year, we will be adding support for RCS Universal Profile, the standard as currently published by the GSM Association. We believe RCS Universal Profile will offer a better interoperability experience when compared to SMS or MMS. This will work alongside iMessage, which will continue to be the best and most secure messaging experience for Apple users.”Apple Spokesperson to 9to5Mac
For sure, the iMessage will remain. Below are some of the advantages of enabling the RCS messaging standard on iPhones.
Advantages of RCS messaging on iPhone and Android
- It will enable users to share high-resolution photos and videos
- It will enable users to send audio messages
- It will make it possible to transfer larger files
- Group chats can be formed across different devices.
- RCS enhances security for cross-platform messaging
By 2024, the RCS messaging standard will be introduced to iPhones via a software update. Remember that iMessage will continue to exist.